Thursday, July 5, 2012

Washing wool

I finished knitting a pair of shorties last night and had a couple that were in need of a wash so I thought it might be fun to document how I wash our wool.  This is just the way I do it, and it works for us... so here goes.

I use Eucalan wool wash (I like the Eucalyptus scent) and add a little extra lanolin since we use our wool as diaper covers.  Eucalan is great since it has lanolin already in the wash and you don't have to rinse it out.  Less agitation mess less chance of felting.

Fill up the sink with tepid water.  For these woolies I'm doing two capfuls of Eucalan to the whole sink.

Take a small dollop of lanolin 

Add super hot water!

Whisk until it dissolves

Slowly pour into the sink while swirling the woolies around to distribute it evenly

Lay flat to dry.

Here are the new shorties I finished last night.  One ball of knitpicks- Chroma

I'm having a bit of a moral dilemma now with the wool and my recent decision to go vegan.  I think going into the future I will carefully research where I purchase my wool from.. trying to go to local farms if possible and focusing on ethically produced wool.  I don't think I could give it up completely. It works too well and I really enjoy knitting with it.  I'm not sure if there is a more vegan friendly option for the lanolin though. hmm....  Though I bought this lanolin when the munchkin was born and I still have most of the bottle so it may last a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment