Monday, July 30, 2012

Happy Birthday to me! A Pic-Heavy Post

This Sunday I turned 32, but its ok... in my mind I'm still 6.

To celebrate, Mich, Ian, Micah, Laurel, the munchkin and I went camping.  I really enjoy camping and we didn't go at all last summer (the baby was a bit to young to sleep in a tent.) It was kind of a last minute decision.  We had been bouncing some ideas back and forth for what to do for the weekend and hadn't really settled on anything so Monday I called around and tried to find us a good site.  We ended up at Woodford State Forest near Bennington, VT.

Friday we packed... and I will admit that I was having a fit of grumpy, cranky, anxiousness.  Then a look at the potential weather (rain, rain, thunder, rain, with a side of rain) and I started to think wanting to go camping was a stupid idea and I should just hide under the covers all weekend. But we left anyway and once we got going my mood lifted and by the time we made it to our site I was genuinely excited.

Friday night we set up camp then headed to North Bennington to try out a pizza shop that was gluten-free and vegan friendly. score! Marigold Kitchen was awesome. I had a pizza on the most amazing vegan gluten free crust with dayia mozzarella.
So good. I ate the whole thing by myself (well, the munchkin helped a little) This pizza was worth a two hour drive!

We headed back to the campground and just relaxed for the evening.  The munchkin did great in the tent.  I was able to get him to fall asleep and head out of the tent to play a little magic with Micah before we headed into the tent to sleep.  

Saturday, after a failed attempt at making coffee on the camp stove, we headed into Bennington to explore the town.  Bennington was a cute little town with a nice main street area for shopping.  Unfortunately I didn't notice the storefront for Earthy Crunchy Mama until Sunday and they were closed!  Oh well, it just gives me a reason to go back.  But we were able to stop at a great gaming store, the Gamer's Grotto.  It was huge, good selection and they even had some video gaming and plenty of space in the back to play.  In fact while we were there they were having a magic tournament.  My family bought be a copy of Ticket to Ride, which I have been wanting for awhile.  We had lunch out at a local brewery, Madison Brewing Company, which was very tough for me and my dietary restrictions. I love good beer. But they did make their own root beer which was pretty awesome. 

After lunch we stopped at Spice-n-Nice, a small natural foods store to pick up some food to cook for dinner.  It was a small store but they had a nice selection and even a small produce section so we were able to get something to satisfy everyone.

It was drizzling and rainy for most of the afternoon into the evening.  With the damp, it took a little while to get a fire going.  We relaxed, read, and chased the munchkin around.  He loved walking to the nearby swingset and waving at every car that passed by.   Micah and I ducked out for a little bit to find a geocache and pick up trashy magazines for Michy. 

Dinner was wonderful.  Baked potatoes, baked beans, hotdogs for the meat eaters, and vegan, gluten free grilled cheese for me and michy.  I did mine with Jack flavored daiya and a layer of laurel-made peach preserves.  It was so yummy. 


Yummy dinner

Michy and Laurel

My delicious grilled cheese!

After dinner, I got the baby to fall asleep in the tent and then made one of my favorite camping treats- bananas with melted chocolate and marshmallows.  Michy even found vegan marshmallows for me at the coop.  
They stuck candles in mine.

After dessert we played my new game. 

It was pouring by the end of the night, so we headed to bed and it rained steadily all night long.  By morning it was too wet to try and cook breakfast outside, so we packed up camp and headed into town for brunch.

We spent the rest of the day meandering our way back home.  We checked out Bennington Potters, the Bennington War Memorial, and the Cemetery where Robert Frost is buried.

Getting ready to pack up

The munchkin was having a blast stacking the creamers at brunch

Bennington Potters


Playing outside the pottery shop

The Bennignton War Memorial

Robert Frost

And our last stop... the scenic overlook shop on Rt 9 in Vt. 

It was a wonderful weekend and a great way to celebrate my birthday.  Next year I want to go camping for a whole week, two nights is just not enough time. 









No comments:

Post a Comment