Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ersatz Coffee Alternative


I haven't had caffeine in almost  two weeks now, but I've still had some decaf coffee.  Like I said before, I love coffee. So I'm trying to find  substitute that will work for me.  I liked Pero, but it contains both barely and rye... so it isn't gluten free.

So  I googled... and discovered Ersatz.  Unlike most coffee substitutes that contain barley and rye,  Ersatz is a blend of roasted rice, peas, and chicory.  So I thought I should give it a try and I mentioned it to Michelle.  They actually carried it at the River Valley Market, so Michy was able to bring me home some from work.

So now that I've had a few cups I thought I'd give a little review.

Its not coffee.

It doesn't have that bitter acidic bite that I love about coffee... but seeing as it is the acid in the coffee that bothers my IC that is probably a good thing.  Once you get over the fact that it is not coffee it is a really enjoyable hot beverage.  It has a really nice toasty smell (the scent was really familiar and comforting, then I realized this afternoon as I made the munchkin lunch that it kind of smells like a rice cake- but its a good thing, I promise)  The taste is mellower than coffee, but still has an enjoyable toasty-ness. I drink coffee black, so that is how I tried this first, but it was also quite tasty with a little almond milk and stevia.



I can see this becoming my morning beverage.  The day just doesn't feel right if I haven't had a hot cup of something.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Aimee. I gave up Coffee for Religious reasons before Christmas after drinking it for 30 years. I have missed it sooo much. Since I am Celiac, I couldn't have the other Coffee substitutes, then I found this Website. Your review just showed me I made the right decision ordering it. Now I wish they would hurry up and get it to me! LOL
    TL

    ReplyDelete