Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Too darn hot!

I've been meaning to start blogging again for quite some time now.  I had been waiting for the right moment, or the right idea, but I decided that today was as good a day as any... so here goes!

It is a billion gazillon degrees here in Western Mass (ok... more like 98... but that is still really hot) Hooray for summer.  When I got home from court this morning I decided it was too sticky to do any more work and the munchkin and I needed to go swimming.  So Munchkin, Micah, and I packed up some towels and headed to the state park.

The munchkin wouldn't let go of me for very long but did seem to enjoy splashing and playing in the sand.  I think next time we need to go prepared with snacks and toys for the sand.  The lake was full of people enjoying the water.  We even bumped into another crunchy mama who recognized the munchkin's swim diaper as a cloth diaper and talked about breastfeeding her 3 year old. 







Unfortunately we couldn't stay very long today, since Micah had a work meeting.  Once we got home the baby crashed asleep and I was able to get him to nap in his room, which is a minor miracle.


I took advantage of my baby free time by making some tasty cucumber dill soup.  We got dill in our farm share on Tuesday and I thought chilled cucumber soup would be perfect for dinner.  It came out quite yummy and uses my newest favorite way to make food creamy and rich- cashew cream! yum.



Vegan Cucumber Dill Soup:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion diced
5 garlic scapes diced (regular garlic would be fine, but we had so many scapes from the farmshare)
5 large cucumbers chopped
8 cups veggie broth
1/2 cup fresh dill
1/2 cup of cashews
salt to taste

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft, then add the cucumber and saute a few minutes until it starts to soften, add the dill.  Add the veggie brother and simmer until the cucumber is soft.  Take about a half cup of the liquid and use it to puree the cashews.  I do this with an immersion blender but you can use a regular blender as well.  Add the cashew cream and stir.  Then blend it all up and salt to taste.  Refrigerate and serve chilled.



The Munchkin loves anything he can spoon feed himself!

Once I was done making the soup, I got some granola bars ready for the dehydrator.  They are still going as I type this and the smell of oats and chocolate is totally taunting me.

Once the baby was up from his nap we attempted to go for a walk with the dog but it was just too darn hot, so we headed inside and played blocks and read about diggers.   I failed at this weeks attempt to score a Twinkie Tush Cloth Diaper which is always sad but probably good for my wallet.  Micah came home and we enjoyed our chilled cucumber soup and now were are watching one of our favorite guilty pleasure tv shows... so you think you can dance.

Goodnight!



No comments:

Post a Comment